Monday, January 20, 2014

7-11 Run 1000 21km Race - First Half Marathon for 2014


This was a race I wasn't that excited in running in due to:
1) No training for this distance
2) Some problems with regards to race kit collection

Another problem which came up was the lack of parking spaces as we drove around just to look for a parking slot!  Good thing Alvin and I were with two of my friends who joined the 5km category and they opted to park the car for us instead and just meet each other at the finish line. 

We were 14 minutes late once we got to the starting line (that 1km guesstimate walk didn't help us).  This was going to be a lonely race again as almost all participants were already running the half marathon and Alvin was just too fast for me (at 5:30 average pace!!!).

But one good thing here was the freezing cold weather!  It felt like I was running in another country.  It was also pretty cool running on a new route:  CAVITEX!  No SKYWAY this year (Condura Marathon announced recently that they won't hold the 2014 event) but there is CAVITEX!

The route was flat for the most part.  There were just a lot of smog from the trucks heading into CAVITEX but we had one or two lanes all to ourselves.  There were plenty of hydration stations here (water, Pocari Sweat, Gatorade) but no bananas, which was what I was looking for.  Luckily, I had some emergency GU gels with me and consumed both of these gels at the latter part of the race.

Surprisingly, I felt strong all throughout the race.  No leg pains, no PF pain and I was consistent for the most part and even going faster on the last 2km as I weaved through the 3km and 5km runners.  Not a bad start for 2014.  (I think the weather played a very big part for me in this race).

At the finish line, there were some problems as the lines were looooonnnggg just to get the medal and loot bag.  I was contemplating whether we should still line up or just go home.  But Kath found a shorter line and we were able to get our stuffs.

"cute" medal


Definitely some room for improvements by the organizers such as 1) more efficient race kit claiming, 2) more efficient loot bag distribution and 3) more parking area.  But it was still a good and fun race and I was glad to have joined it.

Finish time at 2:43:26

PRAISE GOD!

(Final Note:  Race titled Run 1000 to commemorate the 1,000th store opened in Philippines by 7-Eleven Group.  1,000th store at Greenfield opened just a few days ago).

No comments: