My dilemma isn't whether I will join this race or not.
OF COURSE, I will join this race!! This is the most anticipated race so far and a lot of my family members and friends have already signed up for it for fear it would run out of race numbers.
For a brief background, this race will be held on March 22, 2009 at Fort Bonifacio with 3km, 5km, 10km and 21km event and this is a race for the whale sharks.
I was very impressed with how this was organized last year, when I joined the 10km event and that race made it to my Top 10 Favorite Races at number...
6. Condura Race: First race I felt pampered as got a lot of goodies here. Love the freebies and shirt design was awesome! Lots and lots of water and sports drinks as well from what I remember. A very well organized race.
For list of the other 9 unforgettable races in my 1st year of running, click this link.
Aside from wanting the same experience I had last year, the other reasons I joined the race this year are:
1. Run the SkyWay! Enough said! Okay, maybe, not enough said. How about this: Run The SkyWay without paying the toll fee ! Hehe... ;)
2. I will need to do a 32km run that day in preparation for my full marathon two months later. So this is perfect in that I would cover 2/3 of the distance already. 32km will be the farthest I've ever ran in my entire Running Fatboy's life so I hope that I can do it!!!
3. Finish the 21km and get a bling bling medal (to once again fool your non-running friends that you won first place ... in the category: fastest Running Fatboy!)
4. Awesome souvenir shirt! The shirt from last year I still wear from time to time. I liked the colorful designs and this year's shirt design looks great too! The whale sharks are worth saving AND worth seeing! If you haven't seen them, it's time to plan for it this summer. You will not regret it !
5. Freebies! Goodies! Costume Party! Pictures with the stars! Plus 10% discount from Nike!
More info on race can be found at their website: http://www.condurarun.com/
So, with all the great things coming from this race, what the #$%!@ is my dilemma ?????
It's simply this:
How do I go about doing my long 32km run for that day?
a) Run 11km first at very early morning, forfeit getting a 21km PR and just have goal of finishing the SkyWay race. Advantage here is that at least I will be done after race and can hang around for pictures and whatnots. Disadvantage of course will be a bad finish time for my Condura race.
b) Run the 21km Condura race with aim of PR, take some pictures, rest for 10- 15 minutes and then do the remaining 11km. Advantage here is a potential PR. Disadvantages are: 1) it might be too hot already for last 11km and, 2) I might be too tired if I ran hard in my half marathon so might not achive target long distance (though I will still try to do it even if I walked the entire way)
c) Run 5km first at early morning, do 21km Condura Race (no PR but hopefully an okay time), rest 10-15 minutes, then do remaining 6km. The advantages/ disadvantages are a mix of first two options.
If you were in my shoes, what would you do?