Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Race Review: New Balance 25km Power Run 2016

The last time I joined the New Balance 25k Power Run was back in 2013.  In 2014 I was out of the country when they had the race and in 2015, I found it too much of a hassle when they moved the location of the race to Daang Hari.  So I was pleasantly surprised when they moved it back to Bonifacio Global City (BGC) for this year's event.

This would be a good long run and assessment also for my big race the following week - Pinoy Fitness 21km sub 2:30 wherein you not only have to complete the half marathon but under the required time of 2 hours and 30 minutes to get a finisher medal at the end.

My goal for this race is to run the first 21km and see what my "finish time" for that is to give an idea for next week's race.  For the remaining 4km, I can opt to go easier or harder depending how I felt that time.  

The route is the usual one when it comes to long distanced races held in BGC - Kalayaan Bridge to Buendia Avenue, U Turn back all the way to turn right to Lawton and Bayani Avenue and U turn back again to head to the International Schools to the finish line.  It's safe to say that this is a hilly race!  Perfect! 



The gun start was at 4:00am and though it was too early for my taste, it was good too as most runners will be finished by the time it gets too hot.

There were a lot of (cold) water stations but not enough sports drink stations.  They had only one at the first part and none until the very last few kms in the race.

There was one banana station but I opted to have a GU gel instead to save on time.  Even with slight twinge in my left knee (which made me a bit more careful), I felt good throughout the race.  By the time I have reached the 21km mark, my time was at 2:22 and pace about 6:50ish.  This was a good gauge for my strength.

With 4km left, I kept going.  Prior to this race my PR for the 25km was at 2:58:11 and this was back in 2011.  I am happy to have broken that record by going more than 8 minutes faster than before at a finish time of 2:50:25 with an average pace of 6:49!  Praise God for this!  He is awesome!

No loot bags at the finish line but i am happy with my time and with the medal.


Plus some good stuff upon registrations:



Hopefully they will continue having the 25km in BGC and make that its permanent place.



No comments: