Wednesday, December 20, 2017

HK Marathon 2018 - Third time to run!

Yes, my third time to run this hilly hilly course!  What is wrong with me?

The first time was all the way back in Feb 05, 2011 where I got my second fastest marathon time of 5:02:17.  Sadly, I am not able to go to this level again as I don't do much speed work anymore.

The second time I ran HK Marathon was just this year wherein I did the full marathon while Per did the Half Marathon.  We both made it within the cut-off time and I was happy with my time of 5:16:57 time, which was my fastest marathon for the past 5 years!  Ironically it was the first HK Marathon I did that was faster than this was.

Both times I enjoyed the HK weather, and the course, though hilly was nice as well, as it took us on various bridges in the city, giving us a glimpse of the sea.  The only drawback here was the strict cut off time and having cut off points at various parts of the race.

As my blood results were not that favorable to me during the last check up, I figured doing this was like hitting two birds with one stone - another marathon done and hopefully, an improvement in blood test results for next year.  Besides I already have tickets and hotel booking for Hong Kong trip as I will be there at the same time as the event, so why not do a marathon while there (so hitting 3 birds with one stone!)?

Unfortunately, I didn't get in during the lottery process!!

 Image result for crying face

I didn't even get in to the waiting list.  It was a flat out rejection email to me.  Boo!  Alvin got in and immediately registered for it.




So what am I to do in Hong Kong while the race is going on?  I didn't want to be a spectator!  I wanted to be a runner there!

Well, there was another option and that is via Charity.  Upon checking the details on it especially the part where FEE is detailed, I saw that it was doable.  The fee amount is HKD 1,500, which is more expensive than the regular entry fee (obviously) but not that expensive vs other charity races.  To compare, I think London or NYC Charity entry fees are about USD 2,000 to 5,000 per person!

HK Marathon website had some hacking issues on their page so I couldn't pay anymore via online using my credit card.  Only way to go about it is to issue a HK issued bank cheque within the time period.  Another barrier for this!  It felt it wasn't just meant to be and just relax while in Hong Kong.


Image result for crying face




And then came Alvin....

Who has an aunt based in Hong Kong and who was in the Philippines at that time to visit them.

Another window opens as one door closes.  And said Aunt did all the mailing of application forms and cheque and after a few weeks, I got the result that I am in! Never give up!!


 Related image

So training has been going for this race with a steady 7:30 - 7:40 average pace.  Still no speed work but that should be fine.  No time pressure other than the cut off time.    I will just run it to enjoy the view, the experience and to burn calories. 

31 days to go!

To God Be All the Glory!



1 comment:

daytripper1021 said...

Good luck in your HK race pre! :)