Thursday, January 4, 2018

2017 Good Evening Taipei Race 21.3km

When we booked our Christmas trip to Taipei, I didn't think to look for any road races held in the city and figured I would just do multiple loops around Da'an Park or just run on my own in the city.  Just my luck that I visited the blog of fellow runner Roelle (www.daytripped-running.blogspot.com) and read that he is registered for a race in Taipei!  What?  There is a race?  I quickly looked into it as race date would be while we were still in Taiwan!  PERFECT!

Unfortunately, everything in that website was in Chinese!  I had to google translate everything just to be able to understand it.  And somehow got through the registration process for the 21.3km distanced category.  No idea why it was 100 meters longer than the standard half marathon but at least my long run in Taiwan was solved.

This was my first race in Taipei and it was one of the few night races that I have done in my lifetime (Singapore Sundown Marathon, Kenny Rogers Night Run, Outbreak 5km, and Energizer Night Race were some of the others).  There is a certain appeal to running at night or late afternoon.  You won't be hungry as you had breakfast and lunch.  You will be well rested as you don't have to wake up early for it.  Sometimes it is also cooler in the late afternoon than it is in the early mornings.  And the city lights add to the attraction to it.

Once I got in, I tried to register Per for the 8km as well but unfortunately it was sold out.  She did agree to accompany me to the race and wait for me to finish.  She had her IPAD and earphones ready with her so she can catch up on some of her TV shows.  The whole time we were assuming there would be coffee shops or restaurants near the area.  When we finally got to the race site (via a subway ride and then a bus ride from the organizers), place was devoid of any establishments or shelter!  Worst of all were the strong winds that day and Per had difficulty because of the cold.  I lent her my  bubble jacket as an added layer to help keep her warmer.

I hadn't ran fast for some time so figured I could do a 2:45 for this race at best but Per pleaded for me to finish below 2:30 as she was having a hard time with the wind and low air temperature.  Haha! So it was time for me to race this and see how well (or poorly) I do.

Our race started on time at 4:30pm and saw Roelle (or more correctly, he saw me) five minutes before gun start.  It was nice to see a familiar face in this race!

The race route was one big loop along the riverside.  I initially wanted to pace myself and run at 7 minute pace but the Taiwan runners were fast.  No one was slowing down and all were running at a constant pace.  I followed their pace and at the same time, remembered Per for me to finish this race as quickly as possible.

race map based on my Garmin


Only worry I had were my tight legs from all that walking in Taipei (as visited Taipei zoo with kids and did a lot of other touristy stuff here).  But tight legs loosened so I was able to maintain a below 7 minute pace.  Cold weather had me looking for a portalet and luckily found an unoccupied one under a bridge.  Cold weather helped too as didn't feel tired and kept me going at a good pace.

Had 3 Gu gels with me but ended up taking one only at halfway mark along with half a banana.  They also had sports drink at the water stations.

At 13km I decided to go faster a notch.  Yup I know, kinda too early for that!  Haha!  It should be at last 5km.  But figured it was time to go big or go home.  So I ran faster but cautiously anticipating hitting the wall at some point.  Then it was 3km to go.  No wall arrived thank GOD!  Then the finish line!  Praise God!

My garmin time was at 2:23:05 with pace at 6:38 for this race.  Quite happy with it as didn't expect it and wasn't as winded as I expected to be.  Spotted Per at the finish line and she assisted me on what to do next - get the loot bag, return the chip timer for NT 100 refund, and even get the certificate which they printed on the spot!  How's that for efficiency?!

loot at finish line.  Loved the medal and certificate!


Saw Roelle again and had a quick chat before Per and I headed back to the bus area all the while eating the two jumbo siopao given to me as part of the loot bag!

Pinoy pride!  21.3km (or 21.6km) conquered!

Thank YOU God for the year-ender race and for keeping me safe and injury free.  Thank YOU for this good race.  Thanks Roelle, if not for your blog, I wouldn't know about this event and thanks Per for waiting for me in the cold cold weather!  At least I made it sub 2:30 because of you! Haha!

Post note:  Before heading back to Manila, I did one super slow 10km in Taipei on New Year's Day that lead me to Taipei 101.  Pace at 7:55 per km with lots of stops and sitting down, a far cry from my pace in this race. Haha!

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone and here's to a healthier 2018!


No comments: