Saturday, May 1, 2010

First Labor Day Run - May 01, 2010



I honestly did not know what to expect from this race, either the race itself or my performance.

For my performance, it could be easy as usually would run the long distance race events but it could also be hard as haven't been training lately due to bad foot injury. It could also be hard because it will become a tempo run for me. Only one way to find out!

For the race, I did not know what to expect as I know it's just a small race and haven't joined this kind for some time now (I'm usually biased for Runrio races given the nice pictures, finisher medal and chip timer). Will there be adequate marshals? Enough water stations? Organized handling of race event?


Well, I'm glad to say that it is YES on all counts!

The marshals were quite cheerful and encouraging as each runner will head towards them. There were ample water stations (3 for this 5km race!) and lots of free stuffs at the finish line. For the first time this year, the shirt actually fits this RUNNING FATBOY! What more, I got a second shirt upon finishing the race, a razor and there were lots of water, fresh milk and coffee at the finish line! Sooooo worth the Php 300 registration fee!

Per decided to stay on the sidelines as she didn't want to tire herself out before the race tomorrow morning but she accompanied me to this event and said the exact same thing.

We realized too how much we like running on a Saturday as it gives us one more day to rest instead of going back to work the following day.


For its inaugural event, this was indeed a successful event! Hope they have it again next year!


As for my personal race performance, I had a semi-hard time and ended up stopping at all 3 water stations and feeling the tightness in my legs (the song "No Air" in my IPOD did not help at all)! But still managed a sufficient finish time of 26:52 minutes (Pace of 5:50) and distance of 4.61km.




How I wish I was as fast as this runner! See the difference below:








The wife who was glad to be watching instead of running this race!

No comments: