Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Race Review: Takbo.ph Runfest 21km


The Runfest 2015 had different race categories with the longest distance being the 21km or the Half Marathon.

I joined this race because it had been a while since I ran in BGC and also to give support to the race organizers (Takbo.ph's founder Jinoe Gavan).

When the race map came out a few days ago, I knew that this wasn't going to be an easy race as it goes up Kalayaan Bridge and also Lawton Avenue.

Upon seeing the map, I lowered my race goal and knew it won't be a fast race for me.  I decided that I would just run for fun and run by "feel" only.  There won't be any pressure to try to meet a time or pace goal.


With the 4am gun start and nice cool weather, it felt easy for me as I headed towards Buendia Avenue. 

I would glance at my Garmin watch from time to time but only to look at total distance or current pace.  I never knew what my average pace was.

Thank God there was no acid reflux in today's race.

Even though it was a hilly route, I quite enjoyed it and realized how much I missed running along Lawton Avenue and Bayani Road.  It was here that I took a short walk break while eating a piece of banana.

I also took one GU gel at the 9km -10km mark and didn't see the need to take a second one especially since I wasn't racing it.

I felt good all throughout the race and by 16km,I decided I wanted to go faster for the last 5km.  By this time, I was heading back from Bayani Road and climbing the hilly parts to BGC.  But I was still feeling good and used that opportunity to go a little faster.

With only one kilometer to go, and still not feeling winded, I went to my fastest speed and crossed the finish line.

That was the only time I saw my average pace, which was at 7:19, more than 25 seconds faster than my previous 21km distance.  Pace was reflected in the finish time as well of 2:33:51 (previous half marathon at 2:45).

Wow! Thank You Lord for this unexpected surprise.

Congratulations also to the race organizers for a very well managed race. There were kilometer markers the entire 21km, enough water stations (though just one or two had Gatorade in it), a much appreciated banana station and nice finish gears (finisher shirt was one of the nicest one I have seen in terms of design and materials used) at the finish line.

The best part for me was the strong finish and unexpected fast finish time.  Now that is a runner's high! Praise God!


Before going home, I rewarded myself with a nice breakfast at Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf in High Street. Yum!



1 comment:

janine said...

I'm ready to start running half marys again! :) FYI. haha