Nike We Run Manila 10K Set in October
Run Offers Runners the Platform to Connect, Inspire, Share and Motivate Others to Own the Sport of Running
Manila, September 2011 – Witness the fusion of running, music and Manila's night urbanscape come to life as Nike Philippines launches We Run Manila 10K. We Run Manila 10k pays homage to runners and aims to connect Manila’s running community even further by celebrating the concept of We Run – where runners connect, motivate and inspire each other. Furthermore, We Run Manila 10K takes pride by being the first-of-its-kind run that invites Filipino runners to gather and celebrate their love for the sport, music and the country.
“If you have a body, you are an athlete,” Nike co-founder Bill Bowerman, defining how he viewed the endless possibilities for human potential. In the same tone, we pay tribute to our runners who routinely push themselves and motivate others to achieve that extra step, pace or mile and ultimately be the best runner they can be
The race is part of the Nike We Run City 10k races happening in multiple cities such as Seoul (South Korea), Monterrey (Mexico) and Santiago (Chile) that promises a unique run experience combining running and music. The 8,000 runners from Manila will be part of the 150,000 runners from cities across continents to run in this year’s Nike We Run City 10k runs. Manila is the 3rd city in Southeast Asia and one of the 15 cities around the world participating in the Nike City 10k races from now until the end of the year.
This night run will happen on October 15 and will take the runners traversing the heart of the city’s rising business and lifestyle district – Fort Bonifacio Global City in Taguig. At the end of the race the runners will be treated with performances by Chicosci, Parokya ni Edgar.
“With Nike’s very first 10k run in Manila, we want to harness the energy of runners and celebrate their individual and cumulative achievements and motivations as we usher in a new season of running,” shared Nike Philippines Marketing Manager Mae Dichupa. “We all have experienced coming to that point in our run when that extra step or mile is a little harder but we feel that adrenaline kick in when we visually register another runner keep pace or pass us on our running route and once conquered, we feel better motivated and more in tuned with ourselves and other runners. We Run Manila 10k is all about just that – it’s the best avenue for runners to relinquish their love for the sport and place it a notch higher by appreciating it against the vibrant culture of urban Manila.”
The registration for Nike We Run Manila 10k race will commence on September 5 (Monday) at Nike Park Fort, RunnR Bonifacio High Street and Shangri-la Plaza, online through www.facebook.com/NikeRunningPH and in select universities. Registration fees and categories as follows:
Entry for 1 person
Entry for 2 people
Under 25 yrs old
25 yrs old & above
A special discount for registered runners will also be available at select Nike stores.
- Women's Under 25 - For women aged 24 years and below on the race day
- Men's Under 25 - For men age 24 years and below on the race day
- Women's Open - Open to women of all ages
- Men's Open - Open to men of all ages
School Challenge - School Team Category – Colleges and Universities
In the spirit of WE RUN, Nike will launch the Run Buddy Run Nike+ Challenge to celebrate the motivational aspect of running with a buddy! Running has long been referred to as a personal endeavour, but despite the individual nature of the sport, running is an intensely communal pursuit too. The Run Buddy Run Nike+ Challenge takes on the idea of run clubs, training groups and community to broaden the appeal of physical running into the virtual world. Driven through Nike Running Philippines Facebook page and the Nike+ platform, the challenge will see pairs of run buddies race it out to win a VIP Race Day Experience at the We Run Manila 10K, and other Nike prizes.
Challenge mechanics below:
- Visit Nike Running Philippines Facebook page at www.facebook.com/NikeRunningPH and check out the WE RUN MANILA 10K tab.
- Click on RUN BUDDY RUN and sign up with your run buddy.
- Once you’ve joined the challenge with your run buddy, lace up your running shoes and hit the road!
- Sync your KMs to Nike+ and follow the daily leader board updates on the Nike Running Philippines Facebook page.
Join us at the Nike We Run Manila 10K race to run for yourselves, for buddies, for fitness and for fun and when it’s all done, join us at the Race Village for a host of music and entertainment to celebrate being a runner.
For more information, visit www.facebook.com/NikeRunningPH or follow us on twitter via @NikePH.
Some other questions that were answered during the Press Con:
- What time will the race start? The race will start at 5pm (Saturday).
- Where will it be held? In BGC but not at the usual starting/finish line of RunRio.Inc races. Venue for this race will be near Mercato Centrale, BGC.
- How’s the course like? Flat terrain, new course experience.
- Any other race categories? Only 10km for this race. For beginners, Nike Running Philippines will offer a series of running clinics to get them prepared for this race distance. Just add Nike Running Philippines in facebook (or click link above) to get the latest updates (such as schedules) on these running clinics.
- For the buddy run, do they need to finish at the same time? No need! You can leave your buddy as soon as you cross the starting line! Or you can run together. Basically, it’s your choice!
- What is included in race kit? Nike drifit shirt, special discounts at selected Nike store, Water bottle. There won’t be any bibs in this race. Race numbers will be printed on your Nike shirt!
- Why the price difference for 25 years old and above vs below 25 years old? Nike Philippines is targeting students more and knows that they have more limited allowances versus working people. But if you register with a buddy, it will be cheaper than even the registration fee for the below-25 years old category.
This looks to be an exciting race and one that Per and I will definitely join for this year! This will be Per’s comeback run and we will run together here (just like the good old days). Quite nice that it’s a night run too as we don’t have to wake up too early for this race and can even have a nice dinner afterwards at Mercato Centrale.